powerUP

By ZOG Digital

Brands invest in paid advertising because it is easily tracked, testable, and the most efficient way to get more visibility for content. Retargeting, or remarketing, is online advertising that works to engage users after they have left your website. By attempting to convert this bounced traffic, marketers can continue to keep their brands out front and drive sales of those who don’t convert right away. Generally, only 2 percent of shoppers convert upon the first visit to a website. Retargeting helps bring back the other 98 percent. Retargeted consumers are much more likely to come back and make a purchase.

Here are a few main considerations when running a paid advertising campaign:

Test and optimize.

When running a paid campaign, it’s important to test and optimize using multiple sets of ad creative, content and landing pages. By testing which landing pages and creative appeal and resonate with an audience, you can evolve performance over the life of a campaign by reusing ads that work, and abandoning those that don’t. You can eventually test ads for its smaller components, such as calls-to-action. Testing and optimizing will help maximize your return on investment and utilize budgets effectively.

Google AdWords has gotten more and more advanced in helping marketers test and optimize their campaigns. Most recently, AdWords added Active View to help more accurately attribute display ads to conversions. This and other advancements in paid advertising metrics, allows advertisers to test new things and then prove whether or not they are working.

Segment.

Another important consideration is how you segment users within any given advertising campaign, or qualify them to be retargeted with an ad. This can include factors such as if they viewed a high-end product page or if they viewed more than five product pages, the time they spent on the site, or if they have purchased from you in the past. Keep in mind that not every user that arrives to your site is in need of the same thing, so it’s best to learn how your audience interacts with your site through metrics and attribution modeling, and then setting up retargeting campaigns that provide content and calls-to-action that match those needs.

Be relevant.

Keep offers and ad creative as relevant as possible to users’ motivation will help drive performance. One of the most common methods is to utilize ad creative by building out category ad creative. For example, if a user had been on a women’s clothing site and viewed a dress, ad units that they see would display a dress or a handful of dresses. However, typically dynamic ads will perform better. In dynamic ads, advertisers take the exact products that a user has viewed on the site and pulled those product images into a retargeting ad.

Be timely.

In retargeting it is especially important to set up limits for how frequently you will serve a user an ad, and for what length of time. You want to make sure you are targeting the user enough times throughout the decision making process to compel them to purchase your product, but want to avoid showing them an ad on every site they visit. Additionally, if you have a product that a user will progress through the purchase process in one week, you will want to ensure you are not retargeting four weeks later.

Consider your platform.

One paid advertising consideration that is sometimes overlooked is providing responsive ads based on technology or platform through which users are searching for your products or services. Target appropriately based on whether customers are searching on a desktop computer or mobile device. Make sure smartphones and tablets, for example, are shown mobile-responsive or mobile-specific ad creative.

Be strategic with shopping comparison engines.

Another very important channel for reaching users in the decision-making process are shopping comparison engines, where users look for the best deal possible for the products that they are shopping for.  There are several different shopping comparison engines, so it’s important to test to see which of your products perform best on each engine. Make sure you are promoting your most competitively priced and most demanded products to capture the most sales. Test other products for certain time periods, such as seasonal shopping, or offer promotions to help test and drive conversions.

Use technology to automate and optimize this produces. Have a product feed built out that is automatically sent to these sites will streamline the entire process, updating as inventory fluctuates, sales occur, and pricing changes.

ZOG Digital is a search and social marketing company that specializes in paid advertising and retargeting. Contact us to speak to our specialists about an audit of your digital strategy.

There are currently no comments.